Monday, November 30, 2009

He died of a broken heart....sacrifical love...

This morning in my quiet time, I was doing some Bible reading for awana, then working on a awana section. In the Bible reading, i read Psalms 19-24. When i got to Psalm 22, I noticed that I had that particular Psalm filled with notes in the margins from a sermon that was preached on this passage of scripture.

Line by line, this scripture was talking of what was to come many years later on the cross. Verses 1-21 were speaking of the agony that Christ went through on the cross. Verses 22-31 were songs of praise to God.

One particular note that I had written at the time caught my attention. It was in refrence to verse 14, which says
"I am poured out like water,
And all my bones are out of joint;
My heart is like wax;
It is melted withing me."
The note that I had written out in the margin for this verse said, "Jesus died, not because of the torture that he went through, but of a broken heart." WOW! The only time i have ever heard of someone dying of a broken heart and it was Christ!
That shows how much we mean to Him. It shows how horrible our sins are. It shows how devestating being seperated from God the father was. Christ didn't care that "all his bones were out of joint" or that that he was beaten and bruised till he was unrecognizable. It says "My Heart is like wax; it has melted within me." Christ heart was broken....he died of a broken heart....

No comments: